Our office is dedicated to providing each family with the best dental care. As a primary dental provider, we will be responsible for the general diagnosis, prevention, treatment, and management of a wide range of dental conditions that affect the teeth, gums, jaw, and face. We will oversee the dental care related to oral health needs for the entire family. Selecting the right person to care for a family’s dental health takes careful consideration. We want our patients to feel that they have chosen the right dentist for their family. We combine clinical expertise with warmth and a genuine concern for our patients.
Dental exams are very important in early detection and treatment of gum disease and tooth decay. A quick reminder on proper home care and brushing techniques will be reviewed. For a first-time visit, we will perform a comprehensive dental examination that can include:
- A review of the patient’s medical history, especially drug and latex allergies
- Smile photographs and molds or impressions of your teeth
- A complete series of x-rays
- Oral cancer screening
- Orthodontic screening to check the positioning of teeth and jaw bite
- Complete gum examination and pocket measurements (periodontal examination)
- Complete examination of all teeth, crowns and fillings
- Evaluation of wisdom teeth
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) evaluation
A dental cleaning removes the dental plaque (a soft, sticky, bacteria infested film) and tartar (calculus) from the teeth. Dental cleanings are necessary to prevent cavities, gingivitis, and gum disease. If left untreated, severe gum disease can result in tooth loss. Cleaning and polishing of the teeth leaves the surfaces of the teeth clean and smooth so that bacteria are unable to stick to them. Using specialized instruments, we will be able to gently remove these deposits without harming the teeth. After the teeth are cleaned, they will be polished and flossed. Fluoride may be applied to the teeth to help strengthen the tooth enamel.
Preventive Dentistry for Children
Dental prevention is just as important for children as it is for adults. Seeing a dentist regularly at an early age is a very important step in a lifetime of preventive dentistry. A typical program for children contains many steps, both in and out of the dental office.
These steps include:
- Brushing, flossing and oral habits.
- Application of fluorides and sealants.
- Monitoring the child’s dental development.
- Sports safety.
- Parent involvement and proper diet.
During a child’s visit to the dentist, their teeth will be carefully examined, and any dental issues diagnosed and treated. Orthodontics concerns will be addressed. Teeth cleaning, fluoride and polishing are just a few parts of a preventive pediatric appointment to maintain a healthy, happy smile.